The 3rd Quarter meeting of the Cape Fear Arch Conservation Collaboration (CFACC) will be held August 13th at the University of North Carolina at Wilmington. Please note the date change; this was done to avoid conflicts with students returning for fall classes. The formal meeting will begin at 9 a.m. though everyone is of course welcome to come and have coffee/talk/network at 8:30 a.m. Directions to UNCW are included below as is the location of Madeline Suite in Wagner Hall. Madeline Suite is located near the back of campus. The website above has all of directions as well.
In addition to CFACC updates and introductions, the meeting for August will have a theme of River to Sea. We will have presentations and discussions on several of the Conservation Plan Priority Areas that have been identified by the CFACC. The selected areas, in and around New Hanover County (NHC), will focus on efforts to manage and improve these sites as part of our mission, which, as you know, is to "Develop and implement a community conservation vision to build awareness, protection, and stewardship of the region's important natural resources." The current activities in these conservation areas are much more broadly applicable than just NHC though. One of the discussions, for instance, will concern watershed restoration and stormwater control in tidal creeks, an issue for all of our coastal counties.
We will also have a special treat for the afternoon. We have arranged for a visit to one of the most beautiful gardens in the southeast, Airlie Gardens (and it will be a free tour with some educational and management discussions). Airlie has planned gardens but also natural areas and it is bordered by one of the tidal creeks that will be discussed in the meeting.
Please let us know by July 20th if you will be attending the Airlie Gardens tour.
- 8:30 - 9:00 - Networking
- 9:00 - 10:15 - Introductions and Updates
- 10:15 - 10:30 - Introduction of topics and Overview
- 10:30 - 12:30 - River to Sea presentations and discussions
- 1:00 – 1:30 - Lunch will be at Airlie Gardens in the Meeting Room.
- 1:30 - 3:00 - Airlie Gardens tour
Directions to Madeline Suite:
Enter the UNCW campus from College Road on Randall Drive or Racine Drive.
- Continue on Randall Drive until Randall Drive ends.
- Turn right onto Reynolds Drive.
- Turn left onto Cahill Drive.
- Continue through stoplight at Walton Drive.
- The entrance to Madeline Suite/Wagner Hall (WA is Wagner Hall on the map) is on the right; it faces Cahill Drive after the Cahill Drive and Walton Drive intersection.
Parking in Lot FF: After turning left onto Cahill Drive from Reynolds Drive, continue on Cahill Drive through the intersection of Cahill Drive and Walton Drive. Lot FF is on the right. The V is for Visitor Lot.